Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Road To Self Discovery

Over the past few years, I have really struggled with who I am and who I am meant to be. During high school, I went to a very small school, with a graduating class of about 50 people. Everyone knew everyone and everyone's lives, or so they thought. It was kind of hard to ever break free of the same label people placed each other. Don't get me wrong, I had amazing friends and loved every second of my life. But I always knew there was more to me and my life.
When I went to college, I had my whole life planned out. I wanted to major in Communication/Journalism with hopes of becoming a sports reporter one day. I knew where I wanted to live, had dreams of maybe even living out of state, and had planned my future down to even the smallest of details. While it sounded like the perfect life, I soon realized it was not reality.
About a month into college, I realized I wanted nothing to do with journalism as a career. I did not find any enjoyment out of having to write news stories, as I thought they were bland and not very creatively expressive. Also, I found interviewing people to just be awkward sometimes. While I didn't seem to be enjoying this, I stuck with it, thinking maybe I just needed to gain experience since I was only enrolled in one journalism course at that point. 
Around November, I attended a sports broadcasting seminar that was held at my school. There were several newscasters there from local television stations and I was actually very excited to attend. However, I left there realizing that I definitely needed to change the career path I was on. I realized that sports broadcasting was a very competitive field with jobs that wouldn't necessarily last. The fact that I wouldn't be making much money didn't entice me either. I lacked the passion needed to get a job in that field and so I had to take a step back and seriously evaluate what I was doing with my life.
I loved my major of Communication (journalism was my concentration), so I knew I would stick with something within that area, which was very helpful. After much deliberation and talks with my family and close friends, I decided to switch my concentration to public relations. The field seemed to be a much better fit for me and I was very excited about the change.
However, it was pretty hard on me to have to rethink my future. Everything I had figured out wasn't the plan anymore. Besides my career, I also realized that I would never want to leave the state I live in; I love my city of Pittsburgh way too much. I began to get in a small slump because of all of this. Also, my first year of college wasn't exactly going how I was expecting it to for the spring semester.
Over the summer, I made some changes in my life. I vowed to be happy. This was one of the major changes I've made to myself in the past year. Not that I wasn't happy to begin with, but I would get in major slumps and have random days of sadness without knowing why. I'll probably write a separate blog post about how I did this later on. This past fall semester, I made many social changes in my life that have made me even happier than before. I made more amazing friends and couldn't ask for a better group of people in my life.
While I know there are many things I still need to figure out about myself and changes I would like to make for the better, I am very happy with where I am right now.
I am surely but slowly becoming the person I was meant to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment